Monday, May 17, 2010

Morning Thoughts


I had big plans for what I was going to talk to y'all about today. The Vintage Blossoms are coming for brunch and I was going to tell you about that wonderful group of ladies, tell you my brunch meal plans, etc. But, when I was having my quiet time this morning, I happened upon something that made me change my mind. I'll still tell you all about my brunch, you'll just have to wait until tomorrow for that. And don't worry, I'll still give you the menus for the week today.

I'm currently reading through the minor prophets and I'm in Amos. I came upon a little verse, and as is often the case, a little verse grew into a big thought. It's Amos 5:24, "...Let justice roll like a river, righteousness like a never-failing stream." Told you it was a little, unassuming verse. It was the never-failing stream part that caught my attention.

Here's my thought as I pondered on it. This world is like an ocean--powerful, constantly shifting, always changing, often destroying that which is on the shore. We build our "castles" on its shifting sand and they're guaranteed to get knocked down. Righteousness, on the other hand, is a stream. It's so very small when compared to the ocean, but it's never-failing just the same. It doesn't touch vast continents, it trickles past homes and farm lands. It doesn't deafen you with its roar, it soothes with its peaceful sounds. People can find refreshment here. Its waters are not salty and undrinkable. Its currents will not sweep you away. Quiet waters. Steady flows. Never-failing. May the life you live today be a stream of righteousness.

Now for the menus. I know, I know...I said Chicken Pot Pie last week. But, we never got a chance to have it last week. And my family is making me keep my promise to fix it. They take their pot pie very seriously. I do make a mean pot pie. I must really love y'all to share the recipe.

Monday--Chicken Pot Pie, fresh fruit
Tuesday--Baked Beans (going to a cookout, that's my assignment)
Wednesday--Pasta Bake, salad, garlic bread
Thursday--Beef in Mushroom Gravy, Rice, Glazed Carrots, Rolls
Friday--Grilled Pork Chops, Scalloped Potatoes, corn on the cob
Saturday--Homemade Pizza
Sunday--leftovers

Chicken Pot Pie
This is probably my favorite thing that I cook. It's total comfort. I do make my own pie crust, but you don't have to. For the cooked chicken, I boil chicken in a large pot with a few stalks of celery and an onion. For the vegetables, I use the larger size can of VegAll. I've tried it with fresh vegetables, and you really can't tell the difference, and it saves you lots of extra time.

2 pie crusts
1/3 c. butter
1/3 c. chopped onion
1/3 c. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 1/2 c. chicken broth
2/3 c. milk
3 c. chopped, cooked chicken
2 c. cooked veggies

Heat oven to 425 degrees. Put one crust in the bottom of a casserole dish. Melt butter over medium heat. Add onion, cook 2 minutes. Add flour, salt, and pepper. Stir until blended. Gradually add broth and milk, stirring until bubbly and thick. Add chicken and vegetables; mix well. Spoon into crust. Top with the second crust; sealing the edges. Cut several slits in the top of the crust. Bake 30 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Serves 6.

No comments: