Friday, May 14, 2010

Changin' the Rules

I am really struggling with this no flour/no sugar diet. I seems like the mere word NO at the beginning of flour and sugar makes it irresistible. I keep fighting against it and then giving in to it, then kicking myself for being weak willed. Woulda, coulda, shoulda...but I didn't. And I'm stuck in a vicious cycle. Wishing I'd done something different in my yesterdays doesn't do me any good. It's something I can't change. What I can do, is change today my attitude and thinking. What am I wishing my tomorrow will be? I have to make the decision to do at least one thing to get there--and act on it--today! So, I'm changin' the rules. I'm throwing out the No Flour/No Sugar diet and making up my own rules. Here's what I've got:

1.) No to dieting. I'm not following some sort of list, some rule. It just makes me rebellious.

2.) Yes to choices. I will say yes to making smarter choices for myself. When I'm hungry (or offered food when I'm not), I'm going to ask myself a question. "What is the best possible thing I can choose for myself right now?" Because you know what, I had one of those light bulb moments. It's not about whether or not I eat the M&M (which I did and is what caused me to re-evaluate myself)and torture myself over a number on the scale, it IS about what I'm willing to do for myself. Every time I approach a meal, I'm choosing to do something good for myself by eating healthy foods or smaller portions or I'm choosing to harm myself by filling myself with junk or stuffing myself to the point I'm miserable just because it's yummy. Asking myself this question will make me focus on just what I'm doing.

3.) No to exercise. I'm not going to feel guilty for not doing some sort of exercise video or going to some gym or that I'm not running marathons. Being non-athletic does not make me a bad person.

4.) Yes to moving. I will say yes to taking at least 15 minutes for myself a day to purposefully move in some way. Maybe I'll take a walk, maybe I'll dance with Meredith, maybe I will do the exercise video, but when I feel like not because guilt is beating me over the head.

So there you have it. I'm changin' the rules for myself. I realized that the times the weight does come off is not when I'm changing the kind of foods I eat. It's when I change the way I look at the food, and the way I look at myself. We'll see what happens now. Here's to Friday, and to letting go of rules.

No comments: