Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Grandpa, What's for Supper?


We get a channel that shows reruns of HeeHaw. Now I watched HeeHaw growing up, but my husband had never seen it. Apparently he missed out, because he now really likes to watch it. His favorite is when the barber tells the stories. He'll also sit and watch the Big Joe Polka Show. That one's a mystery to me. Anyway, on HeeHaw they have that segment where they ask, "Grandpa, what's for supper?" I guess today I'm Grandpa.

Here are the recipes for tonights menu. The picture for today is of my recipe box. I think it looks a little more like a treasure box, but that's because some of those recipes are real treasures to me. They're links to some special times and people I love. I hope one of the recipes will be something your family will treasure as well.

Ritzy Chicken
This is a recipe that everyone asks for. You know when your kids ask you to cook something that doesn't involve french fries, it must be good. If you're dieting, you can use the fat free soup and sour cream.

4 chicken breasts, cooked & diced 1 can cream of chicken soup
1 tube Ritz crackers, crushed 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
1 c. sour cream 1/4 c. butter, melted

Layer chicken in the bottom of casserole dish. Combine sour cream, chicken soup, and lemon juice; pour over chicken. In a bowl, combine butter and cracker crumbs; sprinkle over casserole. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.


Broccoli with Cheese Sauce
The cheese sauce is also great with asparagus.

1 bunch of broccoli, cooked 1/8 tsp. black pepper
2 Tbsp. butter 1 c. milk
2 Tbsp. flour 1/4 tsp. dry mustard
1/4 tsp. salt 1/2 c. cheddar cheese, shredded

Melt butter in a small pan. Add flour, salt, pepper, and mustard. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; add milk. Return to heat and bring to a boil for 1 minute. Add cheese, stirring until melted.


Carrots with Nutmeg
On our first anniversary, we stayed at a bed and breakfast. When we were looking for somewhere nice to go for supper, they recommended Betty Groff's Farmhouse Restaurant. It was such a wonderful place to eat, so much good food. Their cracker pudding (yep, it's made with saltine...don't knock it 'til you try it) was amazingly good. Well, many years later and many states away I came across a cookbook she had done while I was browsing at an antique store. I knew it was meant for me. It has lots of home cooking recipes (Pennsylvania style) and I'd encourage you to get a copy for yourself. This recipe comes from that great book.

1 lb. carrots 1 1/2 tsp. sugar
1 c. water pinch of nutmeg
1/2 tsp. salt 1 Tbsp. butter

Peel and cut carrots in large chunks. (They're sweeter that way, who knew?) Put remaining ingredients in pan. Bring to a boil. Add carrots. Cover; reduce heat to medium. Simmer 12-15 minutes. Serves 4-6.

No comments: