Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Squirrel Power

Meredith's class had cupcakes and she brought home these two little squirrel ring toppers that were on them. She gave one to me and I put it on. She reached over with the one she had on, clinked them together, and shouted "Squirrel Power." Is this anything like having my Wonder Twins power activated? I already kind of had the shape of a squirrel, I didn't need more of that. Maybe I'm now able to scurry about or climb trees with ease...or maybe I can dodge traffic in a single bound. Whatever my new powers, I suddenly have the hankering to bury all my pecans in the yard.

I didn't get around to the cookies last night, but I did make the muffins. And they were yummy. I'm calling them Home Ec Muffins--not because I took home ec and got the recipe there, but because the original recipe came from a home ec teacher and is one she uses with her class. I tinkered and modified to work with what I had. The crumbs I used were vanilla wafers because that's what I had a little of in the pantry. I bet it'd taste great with gingersnap crumbs too. If you'd like to try it her way, use graham cracker crumbs instead, use half the amount of nuts and add a 1/2 cup of raisins, and change the nutmeg to allspice.

Home Ec Muffins
These muffins tasted great and were very moist. You could serve them for breakfast or as a substitute for a roll at supper.

1/2 c. butter, softened
1/2 c. sugar
1/4 c. packed brown sugar
1 egg
1 c. unsweetened applesauce
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 1/4 c. all-purpose flour
3/4 c. vanilla wafer crumbs
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
1 c. chopped pecans

In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add egg; beat well. Stir in applesauce and vanilla. Combine flour, crumbs, cinnamon, baking soda, and nutmeg; stir into creamed mixture just until moistened. Fold in pecans. Fill greased or lined muffin cups. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes. Cool for five minutes before removing. Makes 12 muffins. Serve warm.


Don't forget to vote today!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i laughed out loud for "squirrel power"!!! joey