Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Bring on the Fall Y'all...and some muffins...and a little something new

Sorry it's taken me so long to get to this today. I had to charge my camera battery and then got caught up trying to fix a facebook account for the blog. I managed to get both done. Be sure to add Simple Southern Suburbia to your friends on facebook. Slowly but surely I'm creeping into the technological age.

It's 80 here today. Not exactly what some of you would consider fall weather, but we'll take what we can get. It's so nice to have the windows thrown open. It's not really hot, not really cold, and that's just perfect for me. In the deep south we don't have a lot of changing of the foliage and such. We make our fall known with decorations, the food we eat (but no, I'm not a turnip green kind of girl, even if I am from down here). One way I mark fall is with the smells in my house (no, not the boy kind--although they'd probably be happy to oblige). Some of my favorites are Bath & Body Works' Gourmet Spice Hand Soap and especially their Leaves variety of scented oil. It'll make your house smell so nice. (It's also one of the only ones that doesn't bother my asthma.) Febreeze also makes a nice Cinnamon Sugar & Home scent, for when you do have smells of the boy kind.

One of the other things I've been up to today is making us some muffins. I figured I'd take some pictures along the way to give you a better idea. They're probably my favorite muffins of all time. You can't beat the topping. It'd be great on other muffins as well. Enjoy!

Banana Crumb Muffins

1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
3 ripe bananas, mashed
3/4 c. sugar
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/3 c. butter, melted

Topping:
1/3 c. brown sugar
1 Tbsp. flour
1/8 tsp. cinnamon
1 Tbsp. butter

Combine dry ingredients in a bowl. In a mixer, combine bananas, egg, and butter; mix well. Add in dry ingredients. Fill greased muffin pan. Combine brown sugar, flour and cinnamon. Cut in butter. Sprinkle over muffins. Bake at 375 degrees for 18 to 20 minutes. Remove to cooling rack. Yields 1 dozen.





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Save me a muffin. Never mind, If you only made a dozen and there are five of you, I don't stand a chance of getting one. Ha Ha