Thursday, April 8, 2010

this, that, and some puddin'

This week has not been kind to me on the scale. I haven't gained anymore, but I haven't lost a pound. After losing six pounds last week, it has been discouraging. I've got one of those Weight Watcher scales that measures down to tenths of pounds and I have lost eight-tenths of a pound, but that isn't a lot of comfort. I have been being such a good girl too. Even when they had spaghetti, I didn't have any. I didn't touch one crumb of the cake from Easter. Sigh, sigh, sigh.

There is one bright spot in these diet doldrums to report. I made a new best friend at the grocery store yesterday. Well, not literally, but to this sweets-deprived girl, it's pretty close. I discovered a new kind of pudding. Jello makes this sugar free, fat free kind called Cheesecake pudding. Now it doesn't taste much like cheesecake to me, but it's very yummy. It does taste a lot like the cake batter icecream I like at Bruster's.

Since I'm already talking about food, I might as well give you some recipes. I've been so busy talking about everything else this week I forgot to do it earlier. The one for the Country-Fried Steak is one of our favorites, a good Southern comfort food. The recipe for the chicken is one I am trying for the first time. I cut it out of a Family Circle magazine. I've got some buttermilk I need to use. I'll let you know how it turns out. Hope you enjoy.

Country-Fried Steak

1 1/2 tsp. salt, divided 1/8 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. pepper, divided 1 c. water
1 1/2 lb. cubed steak vegetable oil
1 3/4 c. flour, divided 1 (14.5 oz) can chicken stock

Sprinkle 1/2 tsp. of salt and pepper over steaks. In one bowl stir together remaining salt, 1 tsp. pepper, and 1 1/2 c. flour. In another bowl stir baking soda into water. Dip each steak into water, then dredge in flour. Pour 1/2" of oil in a heavy skillet; heat to 360 degrees. Fry steaks 3-4 minutes on each side until golden brown. Drain steaks on a paper towel. Drain oil, reserving 2 Tbsp. drippings and bits. Into drippings, whisk 1/2 tsp. pepper and 1/4 c. flour. Cook, whisking constantly, over medium-high heat for one minute. Whisk in broth, stirring constantly, for five minutes. Serve with steaks. Serves 4-6


Classic Buttermilk Fried Chicken
from Family Circle, The recipe calls for 2 chickens cut into 8 serving pieces each, I'd rather just use chicken breasts, so that's what I put on the recipe.

1 c. buttermilk 1 tsp. black pepper
8 chicken breasts (or pieces) 1 tsp. garlic powder
1 c. all-purpose flour 1 tsp. paprika
2 tsp. salt 3 c. solid vegetable shortening

Combine buttermilk and chicken, coating each piece. Stir together flour, salt, pepper, garlic, and paprika on waxed paper. One piece at a time, drain from buttermilk and roll in seasonings. Using two skillets, place 1 1/2 c. shortening in each. Heat over med-hi until it reaches 360 degrees. (If it starts to smoke, turn the heat down.) Carefully place chicken in skillets and cover. Cook, covered, about 22 minutes or until brown and crispy, turning chicken several times. Transfer to paper towels. Gently blot off excess fat.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Look at the bright side. At least you did not gain any weight. That pudding sounds yummy.

Debra Ganas