Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Redemption

Today is a better day! I think I worked the kinks out of my comment problem. Thanks for trying it Rebecca. And when I hopped on the scale this morning, those two and a half pounds (which had no business being there) were gone and they'd taken another one with them. I guess that was their way of making up for causing me distress yesterday. Now my total loss is seven pounds. Hopefully the losses will continue. I think that, after having made a chocolate cake yesterday and not even being tempted to lick the icing spoon, I earned another pound off just for will power.

The menu idea for today is grilled hamburgers and I wanted to pass along my favorite hamburger recipe. It comes out of one of my favorite cookbooks, that's full of great recipes and pictures. It's the Reader's Digest Down Home Cooking the New, Healthier Way. Normally I wouldn't pay too much attention to a healthy cookbook but this one really does have yummy food and it shows you how to make substitutions so that some classic Southern recipes are a little less artery-clogging.

Blue Ribbon Burgers
This recipe calls for refrigerating the meat overnight. I have also used the same recipe and grilled them right away. It'll still taste great, but the longer they can sit, the better they will be.

2 lb. ground beef 1 tsp. lemon pepper
2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce 6 hamburgers
1 tsp. hot red pepper sauce hamburger fixings

In a medium-size bowl, mix the beef, Worcestershire, red pepper sauce, and lemon pepper until well blended. Form into six 6-inch patties, about 1 1/2 inches thick. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight. Preheat the grill or broiler. Grill the patties over medium-hot coals or broil 4 inches from the heat for 4 minutes on each side for medium or until the burgers are the way you like them. Serve on buns with your favorite fixings.

No comments: