Friday, April 2, 2010

Confessions

All right, I have to make an admission. We went out to eat supper last night at Atlanta Bread Co. I know, how can a girl on a No Flour/No Sugar diet go to a place with bread in the name? The answer is, kids eat free on Thursday nights. I was feeling very proud of myself because I ordered the french onion soup in a regular bowl instead of the bread bowl and I even gave Jack my piece of bread that came on the side. I was smugly eating away, feeling thinner by the moment, when I realized it had pieces of bread in it. Why didn't I remember that part? Oh well. At least I am admitting my mistake. It just didn't seem right not to confess it. I've not lost any weight today but I won't complain about losing four pounds in a week.

We now have a ham for Easter. The one our family likes best is the Sam's Choice Double Glazed Brown Sugar that you can get at Walmart. I'm pretty picky about ham and have tried more expensive ones, but that one from Walmart is hard to beat. My asthma has forced me into hibernation so I don't know how much Easter celebrating I'm going to get to do this year. But I will pass along a yummy dessert recipe to make your celebration extra special.


Five Layer Strawberry Pie

This recipe makes a large pan full, so it's great to take along for a big family dinner or to a church function. It's also one that you make early in the day or the day before. Here, strawberries are starting to come into season, so it's the right time to give this recipe a try.

1/2 c. butter, melted 1 lg box instant vanilla pudding
1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour 1 qt. chopped strawberries
1 c. finely chopped pecans 3/4 c. sugar
1 8 oz. pkg cream cheese, softened 1 Tbsp. cornstarch
1 c. powdered sugar 1 1/2 c. water
2 c. Cool Whip 1 small box strawberry Jello

Mix flour, butter and pecans. Spread in a 13x9 glass dish. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes; cool completely. Mix cream cheese and sugar; fold in Cool Whip. Spread the Cool Whip mixture over the pecan crust. Mix pudding according to package directions; spread over Cool Whip layer. Layer on strawberries. Combine remaining ingredients in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil for one minute; cool. Pour over strawberries. Refrigerate until chilled and ready to serve.

No comments: