Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Baby Tomatoes and Chili Soup


I thought I'd share a picture of my first tomato. I've got quite a few coming along, but he was the first to show up so I thought he deserved the honor. I did have a tiny squash to show you too. However, my arch nemesis Fat Rabbit has found my new squash spot. For years I've tried to grow squash and he always comes along and eats it. I thought I'd outsmarted him this year--new spot and a trellis for it to grow up. I'm not as clever as I thought. Maybe he won't be able reach them once they start heading up the trellis. I'm feeling Mr. McGregor-ish today.

The recipe for the Cheesy Chili Soup came from that Kraft magazine they send out. I'm going to serve it with Fritos to add in because that's the way we like our chili (and they were on sale at Winn Dixie this week).

Cheesy Chili Soup
P.S. I'm leaving out the celery and adding in some cooked ground beef.

1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes, undrained 2 stalks celery, chopped
1 (15 oz) can kidney beans, drained & rinsed 2 carrots, chopped
1 (14 1/2 oz) can chicken broth 2 tsp. chili powder
1 onion, chopped 1 c. Mexican style cheese, divided

Bring all ingredients except cheese to a boil in medium saucepan. Reduce heat to low; simmer 25 min. or until vegetables are tender. Stir in 1/3 c. cheese. Ladle in to bowls. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Makes 4 servings. You can also top each bowl with 1 Tbsp. sour cream.

I promise I haven't forgotten about my crafty stuff. I've been s l o w l y working on something. Now that it's (almost) done, I don't like it at all. I'll show it to you tomorrow anyway.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You take good pictures . I have little Peppers
growing.
hugs Ruth

Kelly Mac said...

Thank you. I enjoy taking pictures, especially of little things that people don't ordinarily notice or think of as photo worthy. I've got some little bell peppers too, they were just a little camera shy. The jalepenos and cayennes are blooming but not putting out peppers yet. We'll have salsa soon.