Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Tomato Troubles and Trash Pile Squash

As you can see, my tomatoes are growing big. They're taller than me, although that's not saying much. I even have a good number of tomatoes. The problem is the quality. They just aren't doing so great this year. Last year we had a bumper crop of delicious tomatoes. This year's crop is spotty, prone to bruising, and all around disappointing. We've fertilized, we've sprayed for bugs, all to no avail. We've got squash and cucumbers in one of those Earth Boxes. They did great at the beginning, I had them climbing a trellis to keep them away from the ever growing rabbit family that lives in the neighbor's hedge (who knew there could be that many rabbits in a subdivision). It too is looking pitiful. They are past the point of salvation. The bright spot in my gardening is a little squash plant that has popped up in my brush pile. He came up right next to the trash can and is small but very prolific. If I can just keep those rabbits away, I'll be soon picking squash from it.

Oh, I tried that new recipe for Tomato Cucumber Salad last night and it was good, and super easy. It called for italian or ranch dressing. I used a vidalia onion vinegrette instead and added some black pepper. I would've added bacon bits too if I'd had them. They'd be great in it as well, especially with the ranch or vinegrette. This was just a really simple, quick way to use some things from the garden.

Tomato Cucumber Salad

1 large tomato
l cucumber
2 green onions
1/4 c. salad dressing, italian or ranch

Peel and chop tomato. Slice cucumber and onions. Put in bowl and toss with salad dressing to coat. Refrigerate until ready to serve.

See? I told you it was easy.

No comments: