Thursday, January 27, 2011

Pass the Soup

January is winding down and, for most of you, it's cold right now. What's better when it's cold out than a nice bowl of warm soup? So today I'm sharing my recipe for Broccoli Cheese Soup. The recipe card for this one is barely recognizable, splattered and faded from use. That's when you know it's a good one. Add some rolls and a salad and you've got a quick and delicious dinner that'll warm your stomach and your heart.

Broccoli Cheese Soup

1/4 c. chopped onion
1 Tbsp. butter
2 c. milk
1 (8 oz.) pkg cream cheese, cubed
3/4 lb. Velveeta, cubed
1 (10 oz.) pkg broccoli (I only like the florets), cooked
1/4 tsp. nutmeg (don't skip this, even if you do think it sounds weird)
dash of black pepper

In a large saucepan, saute onions in butter until tender. Reduce heat to medium. Add milk and cream cheese, stirring until cream cheese is melted. Add remaining ingredients, stirring occasionally until cheese is completely melted.

Also wanted to let you know that my friend Amy over at http://amygking.com/ is having a giveaway of the the book Made to Crave. I told you about the live webcasts on Monday nights that go along with the book. The book has been hard to get hold of, all the stores have been out of stock, so this is a great giveaway to be part of.

You know, we haven't had a Thankful Thursday in a while. What am I thankful for?

1. I'm thankful my husband woke me up this morning. I was having this dream where I was frantically searching for a coupon to turn in at a drive-thru. I can't remember what restaurant, just that I'd phoned in my order and they said I had to bring my coupon. Searching for coupons and discussing Jewish history in the car industry (not that I had much I could contribute to that conversation, I'm not even Jewish). When I woke up, I'd been gritting my teeth and contorting my neck. I don't like having to work that hard in my sleep.

2. I'm thankful for a son who asks for a new Bible and devotional book and to be awakened a little earlier so he can spend more time reading them. Makes a mama's heart melt.

3. I'm thankful for birthdays and watching my little ones grow up. It is happening so quickly!

4. I'm thankful for all my blogging friends. It amazes me what wonderful insights and creativity people have. We may even know these people personally, see them and talk to them all the time. But there's something about seeing it in print that reminds you of how wonderful they are and how important it is to listen to what they have to say.

5. I'm thankful for coffee, 'cause it sure is hard to get going this morning after Thankful #1. =)

Have a great day!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

jewish history in the car industry??! only you. :) i think i'll have to go google that one! 32* and 19" (or so i hear, i didn't actually measure it) of snow on the ground here - your boys would be LOVING it!

Anonymous said...

oops, that was me, deb. :)

Jennalane said...

stop gritting those teeth...it's hurt your tmj!!
I am grateful for you, Kellymac!

Kelly Mac said...

It hurt my tmj too. =) and I'm grateful for my sweet friends.