Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Trying to be Flexible and Tomato Soup

Yesterday was a busy day where I didn't get around to cooking supper as early as I should have, so I ended up cooking something different instead. That's the beauty of having planned my menus for the week and shopped accordingly. It didn't leave me scrambling for what to cook. I just looked at my menus and picked one that would be quick. I try to make out my menu list to include some quick meals and some that take longer and schedule them according to what I have going on that week. So now tonight, instead of cutting my pork into medallions and doing it in the frying pan, I'm going to put it in the slow cooker and let it cook all day since I'll be gone. I am a planner, but it's not always because I have to stay the course. Sometimes I have to "fly by the seat of my pants" as they say, and I like to have alternate flight plans available.

I guess that's a lot of talking to say I didn't make the pork and made soup instead. Here's the recipe. I loved it, husband's and kids not as much. They didn't think it tasted like the kind out of the can. (I do believe that's the point of good food.) If you'd like to try some tomato soup that tastes like it's fresh from the garden, you can try this recipe. If you want it to taste like it's from a can, you'll have to stick with Campbell's. Give it a try and let me know what you think.

Tomato Bacon Soup

1 qt crushed tomatoes
3 tsp. beef bouillon
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1 c. half & half
6 slices bacon, fried crisp and crumbled
8 oz shredded cheese, pepper jack or sharp cheddar

Blend tomatoes in a blender until smooth. Place in a saucepan. Add beef bouillon and pepper. Stir in half & half. Add crumbled bacon to soup. Heat just until boiling, stirring frequently. Reduce heat to low and simmer 15-20 minutes. Ladle into bowls and top with cheese. Serves 4

No comments: