Wednesday, February 16, 2011

The Gift of a Good Day

I greatly appreciate the well wishes and prayers that have been sent our way. I can report that today is a good day. So far today, our house is fever free. It is, however, covered in glitter.

She was such a sweet girl for enduring all those tests on Monday and I promised her a reward for her acts of bravery. Her request? A Barbie that she'd seen at the store. Daddy left work early and brought it home. She has loved it. Combine a Barbie, stickers, and glitter and you've got a little girl's dream come true. And a momma's messy nightmare.

The glitter is extra fine and it lands, and stays, everywhere! It comes with a little vacuum pen but still it remains. Her older brother was at the table doing homework. When he picked up his white binder, it was covered in glitter. Needless to say, he wasn't happy. "I can't go to middle school with a glittery notebook!" Life's never dull around here. And so glad to see the beginnings of feeling good.

Now for good food. The picture I posted for today is of an old cookbook (thankfully available in an updated reprint). It's full of good, basic recipes. If you only can have one to start with, to learn with, this is it. It makes a great wedding shower present. Give the book, along with the page numbers of your favorite recipes, and some of the spices or utensils they'll need to complete them.

Tonight I'm making a chicken dish from this book. Creamed Chicken. We're having it along with some steamed broccoli, mac'n'cheese and oatmeal rolls. Here's the recipe. In the cookbook, you'll find many variations for using key recipes.

Creamed Chicken

6 Tbsp. butter
6 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
1 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. black pepper
1 1/2 c. chicken broth
1 c. cream (I'm using half & half)
1 c. cut-up cooked chicken
2 Tbsp. sherry flavoring (I'm substituting 1 tsp. celery salt, 1 tsp. poultry seasoning)

Melt butter in a pan. Blend in flour, salt and pepper and cook over medium heat until bubbling. Remove from heat and stir in broth and cream. Bring to a boil and boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gently stir in chicken. Just before serving, add seasonings. Serve over pastry shells, biscuits, toast, noodles or rice. Serves 6.

Good news. With a little nerve and a lot of prayer, I finally submitted some writing for the world to see. It was accepted and you can see it at http://www.faithtowrite.com/ I'm really excited. I had sent it in a while back and figured they weren't interested or it wasn't good enough. So maybe this will be the beginning of something good. I hope you'll visit and check it out.

And finally a little good fun. I visited Maryjane at Beehive Cottage this morning (you can access her blog from the list on the right) and saw the cutest thing. She has two Etsy shops and is always making something I drool over. But I never order things for myself. This morning that vintage inspired recipe journal was too much to resist. What a fun way to use a gift card I'd been given, something I'd wanted but otherwise wouldn't have splurged on for myself!

That's it for me. We're still cooped up on "quarrentine", but being stuck inside today doesn't mean it can't be a good day.

Be sure to visit all the Rednesday participants to see what good things they're up to. http://suelovescherries.blogspot.com/

"Every good and perfect gift is from above..." James 1:17

3 comments:

LV said...

I am glad to h ear things are taking a turn for the better at your house. That is great news about your writings. Trust your loved one will be stronger soon.

★Carol★ said...

Congrats on your writing be accepted! And glad to hear your little girl is on the mend. I know a new Barbie always made my daughter feel lots better!
Happy REDnesday!
Carol

Ann said...

Thanks for the recipe. We'll be having it tonight! Also, congratulations on your writing!!!
I'm adding you and your family to my prayers.:o)
Fondly,
Ann
@
The Tattered Tassel