Wednesday, March 31, 2010

More from the Weekly Recipes, and one for Levi

Sorry, I had to stop last night with only one recipe. There were lots of things going on and I figured chicken recipes could wait. Just in case any of you were biting your nails in suspense (I'm just kidding, I'm not delusional), I got back on here this morning to try it again.

Last night for supper we did have grilled chicken. I tried out a new recipe and I'll share it with you below. It was super simple (the way I like it) and was fine but didn't blow me away. Maybe it was just the type of cajun seasoning I put on it that was the culprit. It was good, but it didn't blow me away. My oldest son, however, loved it and ate three pieces. It is definitely a recipe I'll save and tinker with. A couple of substitutions I made to it last night--I replaced the chicken breasts with chicken tenderloins, making my grill time just as quick without having the pounding step, and I substituted Splenda's brown sugar for regular brown sugar because of my diet.

Caramelized Cajun Chicken

I found this recipe in a magazine. I think it was Southern Living, but I can't promise since I had cut it out.

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 Tbsp. light brown sugar
2 Tbsp. Cajun seasoning
salt to taste

Preheat the grill to 350-400 degrees (med-hi heat). Place chicken between two sheets of plastic wrap (or wax paper); flatten to 1/2 inch thickness using a rolling pin or flat side of a meat mallet. Stir together brown sugar and Cajun seasoning; rub mixture over chicken. Grill chicken, lid closed, four minutes on each side or until done. Season with salt to taste. You can also substitute pork chops or chicken thighs for breasts.


Tonight we're grilling pork chops. This is Jon's specialty. He brushes them with olive oil and sprinkles them with a seasoning called Cracker Girl. I'm not sure where you'd find Cracker Girl. We order ours from the company. If anyone is interested, I can get the info for them off the jar. It is YUMMY. It's great on any kind of meat, to give a little kick to steamed vegetables, and I even sprinkle a tad on my macaroni and cheese. If you can't get your hands on Cracker Girl, you could use McCormick Grill Mates Montreal Steak Seasoning. It's great too.

These are two recipes to get you started on suppers. I'll post my pizza recipe and potato recipe in the next couple of days. For now, I'll give you just one more. This is the recipe that Levi requested. Last spring Joey and I hosted a ladies' tea and we needed a little something savory, but simple (of course). We took an old recipe I had, one that probably everyone has, and made one simple little change that had yummy results. We gave it a new name on our menu, as we were feeling fancy that day and printed menus. Here are the results.

Sweet and Sour Pennies

2 pkgs beef hot dogs 1 12 oz. bottle chili sauce
1 Tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped 1 10 oz. jar grape jelly

Slice hot dogs into thin rounds. In a crockpot or on stove top, combine remaining ingredients. Add "pennies"; simmer for 30 minutes.


P.S. I lost another pound today on my diet.

No comments: